Monday 19 April 2010

When art and science "collide": In praise of the Higgs Boson

In order to celebrate the endeavours of the Large Hadron Collider, Year Zero's very own Physicist-in-Residence, Marcella O'Connor, has put together an anthology of creative work inspired by and dedicated to the elusive Higgs Boson. All this week, she will be posting the entries that have come in from writers both within and beyond the tenuous wave/particle duality that is the boundary of Year Zero.

You can find the contents, updated daily with full links, BY CLICKING HERE.

So far we have wonderful prose from Bradley Wind and Marc Horne, and poetry by Stuart Estell. I know I've contributed a rather surreal piece called Solid that's actually (sorry, Marcella) more about the Higgs Field than the Boson itself. But other than that I'm as much in the dark matter as anyone, and hugely looking forward to discovering how the Higgs Boson has inspired my favourite creatives.

So, don't worry that you missed the London Book Fair. Despair not that you're stranded by ash. Come and lighten your week in the company of this inspiring particle.

3 comments:

  1. If I may invoke the late, lamented Lexx here. And, at the end of the series, the Earth was indeed destroyed by the attempt to determine the mass of the Higgs Boson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a lot of people were skeptical about a Higgs Boson anthology at first, but then when I posted the first stories, it sort of caught on and more people wanted to submit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sіmplу stumblеd upon youг blоg and
    wіshed to ѕаy that I hаνe truly enjoyed
    surfing arоund уour weblog ρosts.

    ReplyDelete