Monday 6 July 2009

The View from the Shoe: Janet Law

I discovered Janet Law and her two wonderful businesses making customised jewellery and accessories on twitter. I am a starving writer and rarely even buy a fellow writer's book because I can't afford it, but I so fell in love with Janet's rice'n'roll bags, I bought one for my wife, and it was even lovelier in the real than it looked online. This week, I asked janet life's most impotrant questions. First, a little about her from her own keyboard.

Janet has two businesses:
Little Pearl Button - My first baby - Quirky, beautiful handmade sterling silver jewellery collection (http://www.littlepearlbutton.co.uk/)
Fortheloveoflaw – Handmade bags using a variety of by-product materials. This label will be evolving into clothing (which is what I studied in & what I really love – Fashion!)… happily sewing away… (http://www.fortheloveoflaw.com/)

Without further ado:
Thank you so much for your time. So, Louboutin or Converse?
No contest! Louboutin not only because each piece is like a work of art but Converse actually started giving me bunions!!! Weird as it may sound I think this is due to the fact that I wore heels most of my life & when I took up waitressing (again) at 24 I brought some Converse… my feet did not like them!!!

Why is there no one in the world who does it quite like you?
I have been known & still do, plan or make outfits to go with shoes! I always decide what shoes I want to wear first, then outfit. I have woken up thinking of the shoes I want to wear that day even if I haven’t worn them for 3 years! I have also made clothing especially to go with amazing shoes I have brought! Shoes excite me to create a complete look!

What do you really, really love about it?
They way it makes me feel. Especially on days when I feel low, I will dress up to the nines, just because I feel down – no one else needs to know! Of course it cheers me up when people gives me compliments especially if I have made it myself!

A bit more time in the day, or a bit more money in the bank?
Always a bit more time in the day, when I feel creative I will work until dawn breaks but suffer later as I NEED my sleep too!

Imagine you “make it”. You wake up, and imagine the day ahead. Tell us about breakfast.
I will still brew fresh coffee every morning so my flat smells lovely… to be honest, I think I will just be so happy & grateful that people are recognising my work & enjoy wearing it. I probably won’t be able to stop smiling! Of course I have so many goals; I think I will be just excited that I can move forward with my plans.

What’s your Jimmy Choo? And what’s just cobblers?
Even though I don’t actually own a ‘Choo’ (I have my reasons for this) I have many designer shoes that make me feel amazing in! It’s like an extra ego adding to my height! (hee hee I’m 4’11”!) Cobblers are my ballet flats (I still have quite a few though) the shoes I chose if I know there will be a lot of ‘walking’ involved!

Tell us about the last time a fan made you feel 100 feet tall.
Every time I get a returning customer! Especially when they tell me how much they love it, or the person they brought it for loved it! I also feel so happy when online customers e-mail to tell me they received the package & absolutely love it, I cherish these e-mails, it may not seem like a lot to others but the fact that they really loved my product enough to e-mail & tell me means so much to me, also when they comment on the little details – packaging & handwriting – its nice to know that people notice! [editor's note: The wrapping and the little handwritten card that came with the bag were exquisite and remain treasured items, kept in my "remember how to make your customers feels pecial" folder.]

Independent and poor, or under contract and rich?
Independent & poor – that is me now! But I can tell you that I am so happy, I am doing something that I really love, enjoy & get amazing satisfaction out of. To have money would mean I can eventually follow my plans but I won’t sell my soul in doing it, I’m trying my best & that is all I can say!

Do you remember that bit on Play Away where Brian Cant stood behind people and did the actions whilst they spoke? If you could choose anyone to stand behind you and do the actions to your sales pitch, who would it be and why?
Ha! Can I say Johnny Depp?! For one he has great actions, secondly surely anything he is associated with would just fly! Either way it’ll be entertaining & draw in my customer base – women!!!

Frocks or socks?
Frocks for sure although the socks can make or break an outfit!!!#

Thank you SOOO much
Thank you for including me :-)

2 comments: